Sunday, December 26, 2004

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x2868666
Is the fundies' God like Tinkerbell?
I raise the question because it seems to me that the fundies are extraordinarily defensive about how and to what extent God and Jesus are acknowledged and worshipped publicly. DildO'Reilly got his panties in a bunch about people saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas," as if this practice somehow would actually do harm to God. So -- is their God so weak that he can't handle any reduction in public adulation? I think of an analogy to "Peter Pan," in which a fairy would die every time a child said she didn't believe in fairies, and Tinker Bell was brought back to life when the children clapped. If God is real, I should think he exists regardless of whether we believe in him or not. If Jesus is divine, he will remain so even if nobody says "Merry Christmas" and nobody puts nativity scenes on courthouse lawns. Do the fundies have such a feeble God that he will die if all the children don't clap?

gmoney  (1000+ posts) Sun Dec-26-04 07:59 PM
Response to Original message
5. Without faith I am nothing
The argument goes something like this: ‘I refuse to prove that I exist,’ says God, ‘for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.’ 'But,’ says Man, ‘the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance, it proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t QED.’ 'Oh dear,’ says God, ‘I hadn’t thought of that,’ and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic, “’Oh, that was easy,” says Man...
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

No comments: