Tuesday, April 29, 2003

New York Peace-Budget March/Rally

I had just returned from what I thought would be a very small event. It felt throughout the week
that I was the only one putting stickers and giving out leaflets. The crowd in Washington Square
started to look impressive. I managed to give an interview to NY1: "My kid will not go to the pool
this summer - the city pool are closing because we have to fix the rest of the world. I am not
with anyone (because the previous interviewees said they were with the Green party). I am just
a mother angry as hell because our lives are going down the drain in the name of war" (My kid
was in the stroller, holding a big sign).
The Broadway march was good - I can only tell we were stretching over 2 blocks - so,
thousands. A guy in a bush mask with an Earth beach ball was doing a Great Dictator impression.
We were supposed to get to City Hall but we were stopped and penned in Federal Plaza - many
blocks away from City Hall. I used the stroller benefit to get through the barriers, closer to City
Hall and then I saw it: MILLIONS! An ocean of green and blue T-shirts - a huge union rally. The
United for peace people that marched with me have no idea of this. Herding people into pens
serves the goal of obscuring our numbers...I was as angry as I was energized by the sight. So,
spread the word: it was a HUGE rally!

No comments:

Blog Archive