Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Why I support Clark (from Gore to Clark)

By Robbedvoter [Add to my Buddy List]
Posted to Robbedvoter's weblog (Soapbox) on Wed Jan 21st, 2004 at 09:07:21 AM EST


As my handle  indicates, I am one of those still crying in my teacup over the stolen election (sorry, mr Kerry, democracy matters!)
  I spent the better part of these past 3 years hoping for a rematch Gore vs Bush where justice would prevail.
  Even after Gore's whiny bow out ("I wanna but they wouldn't let me, so I guess Bush is legitimate now") I still insisted in my only hope for the future and attempted to draft him.
      The reality shock came in April, with the moveon primaries. I had voted for Gore in the "other" category, along with 500 other people. meanwhile, in the same category, we got creamed by this unknown named Clark - with 5000 votes. I was pissed.
   Having sworn off CNN after their post coup 2000 coverage, I had no idea who this Clark person was - and how dare he steal our thunder?
As Al Gore kept telling the media how amused he was about our efforts just as his aides were egging us on, I became truly disgusted.
I expressed my disappointment with his more recent  actions in this letter:
http://writers.forclark.com/story/2003/12/10/91341/687
I started reading about Clark and it was this passage from the Esquire profile that first got my attention:

From the Esquire profile:

He was conducting what he calls "Socratic dialogue" that explored every decision the officers made, as well as every mistake. The idea was not to punish officers for their mistakes nor to second-guess their decisions. The idea was not even to hold officers accountable for their mistakes and decisions. The idea was to encourage officers to hold themselves accountable. The idea was to create a culture of accountability in which the Army's enormous investment in training and education could take root and flourish, and in which every soldier counted.

http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2003/030801_mfe_clark_6.html

Wow! A Socratic war hero!
I was immediately hooked, but didn't dare hope that such a brilliant man will enter the race (I just "broke up with a draft relationship)
     So, I quietly hoped, gathered materials, then joined the draft movement on the rebound...what a journey this has been so far!

    Ever since, I KNOW I am part of history. I know that not only am I part of the making of a president, but also paving the way for a future that I am hoping for - the Star Trek vs Star Wars scenario.

   

No comments:

Blog Archive