Friday, November 05, 2004

I came full circle


I left Ceausescu's Romania for freedom. The stupid think is that for 20 years I never gave it a second thought. Then, just as I became a trekkie when it was over - from watching reruns - I started to get the taste of democracy years after it disappeared. I got engaged in 2000 when I felt personally robbed and thought - at every step that I was empowered. Turned out it was all a lie.
The ruling party just got rulinger"
said Mark Crispin Miller
So, I am back to enjoying my family, my garden, my city, my friends - for as long as they let us - then contemplate flight.
Still, I will have to figure out a way of continuing the fight to bring back democracy - eventhough I doubt I will live to see it (Ceausescu ruled for 35 years). But someone has to keep it going. So, without illusions, unicorns, raibows and rah, rah, rah - I am still in it.
It was stolen, damn it - and we need to bring back elections. Some day.

No comments:

Blog Archive