Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Voting story from Texas - Red Sox unamerican?

Tue Nov-02-04 08:39 AM
Wellstone Democrat
I got challenged! Here's why!
7:05 I got to my voting place in snow and wind attired in warm clothing and....my Red Sox cap. I thought I'd get a few looks but was actually surprised at how many and how *angry*---though they'd look over my head, see the husband in his RS cap and turn away
I got up to the table, the elderly woman looked at me, took my registration card and looked around sort of frantically. Up comes an officious little man who asked to see my card and I asked who he was. "We need to see if you are registered" Oh, I said, why? I have a *new* registration card and here's my license. Who are you? "A volunteer" he says (I'm still holding the license). For the city, county or state? I asked. "Just a volunteer" he answered. Can I have your name since you are getting mine I asked? No he said. I then told the worker that I wanted either the supervisor of that poll or the police. Because a strange man was asking to see identification and refused to say who he was: he could steal my identity! ( )
That panicked them (and got me a poke in the back from my entertained husband) and they muttered and mumbled and then the elderly woman said: "well that hat" which got her a dirty look from the "volunteer." OH? Said I. A problem with the World Champion Red Sox? No, no, no, they both said. "Never mind, have a nice day." OK, said I, I'm going to call the board of elections and ask why they didn't tell me I could not wear a Red Sox hat and be an American. The "volunteer's" parting shot? "Don't make trouble."
Whoo boy, wrong thing to say to a woman in Texas. Two men in the next line said a version of of "apologize to the lady" instantly. The little turd said "I have to make sure there is no fraud." He then looks at my husband and his RS cap and says simply: "give your registration card to the clerk" My husband, my dear sweet quiet husband looked *down* at the little man and said: "Any problems with *my* hat?" No, no, no said the "volunteer" and the people around actually *hooted* as he walked away. As I squeezed between the lines to get to the booths a very old man in the next line grabbed my arm and said: "Honey, you vote for who you want. Its America and I'll probably cancel you out anyway!" Then, he looked at the "B" on the hat, looked at me and said (smiling): "Or maybe not..."
Made MY day. And, so I'm sitting at Dem HQ with my laptop, waiting to report this "incident" and to go out to the retirement apts near me to drive people to the polls in this driving sleet we have today. We called to see if people changed their minds for a.m. voting because of the weather. The manager said: "no, we have more down here than signed up already." As soon as the vans arrive, I'm off to do my bit---now that I have my avatar: I VOTED.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=132&topic_id=1269395&mesg_id=1269395

No comments:

Blog Archive