Friday, December 13, 2002

War is hard, 'cause it Leads to Huggin', Gut Instincts - GWB on Barbara Walters:

But let me talk about war in general
if you don’t mind. War is my last option, not my first option. See, it’s easy
in this town for people to commit troops, the US troops, to combat, through
opinion and the noise you hear in Washington. But there’s only one person who
is responsible for making that decision, and that’s me. And there’s only one
person who hugs the mothers and the widows, the wives and the kids on the
death of their loved ones. Others hug, but having committed the troops, I’ve
got an additional responsibility to hug, and that’s me, and I know what it’s
like.

--snip--

BARBARA WALTERS

“You know you’ve talked in the Bob Woodward book, you said, ‘I’m not a text
book player. I’m a gut player. I rely on my instincts.’ Can you give us an
example of where your insights were right or where they were wrong?”

PRESIDENT BUSH

“My instincts are that ... here’s my instincts ... and they’re consistent. If
people, if a person does not respect freedom, if somebody is repressive, if
somebody doesn’t understand the value of freedom, that person is a failed
leader right off the bat. That’s an instinct. And so I make judgments based
upon, many times based upon on a value system that I believe is true and
universal.”

No comments:

Blog Archive