Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Back from Clark's speech on economy

There were about 100 of us on this brilliant NYC morning (it poured here yesterday for W, but
cleared up when he left). We were by the east River, sparkling in the sun, in Lower East Side - a neighborhood not often used as background for political speeches. An army of reporters - Snafulopagos, Kurtzman from CBS and many I
couldn't recognize. Clark came in and immediately started shaking hands.
Then he delivered that great speech - I hope you got it on C-Span. He got us hopping with the "new
patriotism" (dissent is patriotic). His economic ideas were good too and I love the way he preempted the "are you
raising taxes?" thingy: "I am not raising anything. I am simply moving money from places it
doesn't work for us in places it will help"
I positioned myself right behind him with my double sign (NYC LOVES CLARK - SILVER STARS VS
SILVER SPOON" and "CLARK FOR JOBS") - exposing both sides to the cameras.
After he finished, he came back to us. He shook hands, laughed with some he knew already -
than grabbed two lucky guys by the shoulders and sort of huddled with us in football team
fashion. He gave us a great pep talk - I wish I could quote verbatim but I was too excited. In
effect he said he is in this because we asked him , that he needs our help and he's counting on us
to be strong because we need to change the future of this country and ended with "We're going
to win this thing." I thanked him for coming to my neighborhood and left floating on air.
I gave two interviews on the way out. One for a Pittsburgh publication to a pretty interviewer
who seemed as enthusiastic as I was. A second one to CBS - where I was able to peddle my sound
byte : "It's the Democracy, stupid" in explaining why Clark above everyone else.
I am telling you guys, this guy is a winner!

--


No comments:

Blog Archive