Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Door to door in NYC

Well, of course one doesn't dare do that here. We hit the streets in NYC!
An enthusiastic group armed with signs, noise makers and Clark bars descended on Time Square
tonight. My first recipient, a distinguished gentleman with white beard said: "Thanks! I shall eat it
with a knife and fork like Mr. Pips" ("I love Seinfeld too", I said). And so it went: soon, street
performers, the theater crowd, cops and the uniformed guys at the recruitment center were all
munching on bars and reading the cards (very few were discarded - I rescued them). The guy
with the little alligator, the one with the huge yellow snake draped around his neck, the
saxophone player and the guy with the mohawk were all seriously reading the card. We had very
few negative reactions: "Get a clue" and "Bush/Clark" and the strangest to me: "I don't eat
chocolate" After picking my jaw from the floor I handed him a card without a bar.
I had almost emptied half of a heavy duty plastic bag and on the way home, in the train I handed
most of the rest. "We are moonies now" one of us called to the rest of us. Maybe, but then it's fun to be a moonie.

No comments:

Blog Archive