Friday, April 30, 2004

PRESIDENT BUSH: My first answer to that is, I want to Canada to do what it feels comfortable doing in Iraq. That's -- and that's what I told the Prime Minister before. Canada is an independent nation. Canada makes -- will make its decisions based upon her own judgment. The Prime Minister shares my deep desire for there to be peace in the world. And to the extent that the country feels comfortable in helping that, we're grateful.
Canada is doing a lot in Afghanistan. Canada is doing a lot in Haiti. Canada is a contributor to reconstruction in Iraq. And I am grateful to be able to talk to a friend who shares the same goal, which is affecting behavior in a way that's based upon our values of human rights, human dignity, and freedom. And we've got no better partner in understanding the power of free societies.
There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern. I reject that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily -- are a different color than white can self-govern.
And the Prime Minister -- I don't want to put words in his mouth -- but I think he shares that great sense of optimism and possibility. And it's good to have a friend who shares that with us.
Would you like to have the First Ladies come on up?
PRIME MINISTER MARTIN: I've got to say, though, I really do like sharing a press conference with you. You answer those questions perfectly. (Laughter.)
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/04/20040430-2.html

No comments:

Blog Archive