Friday, April 30, 2004

Stephanie 
TRANSCRIPT of George Bush's racist remarks today
I transcribed this myself from C-Span. It's interesting that in such a brief press conference, these deeply stupid and racist remarks mysteriously do not appear in any of the news articles.

Q: What is Canada doing on Iraq both diplomatically and in terms eventually of getting, possibly putting troops on the ground there?
Bush: My first answer to that is I want Canada to do what it feels comfortable doing in Iraq. And that's what I told the Prime Minister before. Canada is an independent nation. Canada makes its decisions based upon her own judgment. The Prime Minister shares my deep desire for there to be peace in the world. To the extent that the country feels comfortable helping that, we're grateful.
Canada's doing a lot in Afghanistan, Canada's doing a lot in Haiti, Canada is a contributor to reconstruction in Iraq and I am grateful to be able to talk to a friend who shares the same goal, which is affecting behavior in a way that's based upon our values, of human rights, human dignity, and freedom. And we've got no better partner in understanding the power of free societies.
You know there's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that, that people whose skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self governing. I reject that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily, you know, are a different color than white, can self-govern.
And the Prime Minister, I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think he shares that great sense of optimism and possibility. And it's good to have a friend who shares that with us. Would you like to have the first lady come on up?
Martin: I've got to tell you, I like sharing a press conference with you, you answered those questions perfectly.
Bush: Thank you. Record that.
http://www.cspan.org /
LATEST VIDEO >>
Pres. Bush & Canadian P.M. Paul Martin (04/30/2004)
it's at the end, last question

No comments:

Blog Archive