Thursday, November 20, 2003

What happened to you, Mr Rather?

By Robbedvoter [Add to my Buddy List]
Posted to Robbedvoter's weblog on Thu Nov 20th, 2003 at 10:33:15 AM EST


Dear Mr Rather
Let me first thank you for a wonderful interview. I read the whole transcript - the 3 parts of it and it was fascinating.
    Now, I do understand that it was an extensive interview and you had limited time on the show, and Clark knew that not everything would be aired.
     I do think however that less editorializing about the "stumbling campaign" might have left more time for the actual interview (you do know that Clark is leading/tied for first in most national polls, has a movement and record fundraising, right?)
    Still the reason that compelled me to write is this:
Towards the end of the interview a magic moment happened. A moment so inspiring occured, I gasped. His words: "When you can do good you should" made it into my signature tag. Any seasoned  journalist (as you are) would have ended on that note.
     Yet you felt compelled to cheapen the moment by adding an unrebuttable comment: "humanitarian, but not for Iraqis"
    What happened to you, Mr Rather?
What happened to the young reporter who challenged Nixon in the Watergate era eliciting the retort: "Are you running for something, Dan? and  responded: "No, Mr President, are you?"
      Since when was the Iraq war about humanitarian reasons? Are we talking payback for what they did to Kurds 12 years ago? I thought Bush the Smarter did that already. What were the humanitarian reasons justifying shocking and awing Bagdad and killing thousands?
   What happened to you, Mr Rather?

No comments:

Blog Archive