Sunday, February 16, 2003

Time Interviews Chirac:
"
If the Americans were to bring a resolution for war before the U.N., would France use its
veto? In my view, there's no reason for a new resolution. We are in the framework of
(U.N. Security Council Resolution) 1441, and let's go on with it. I don't see what any
new resolution would add. Some charge you are motivated by anti-Americanism. I've
known the U.S. for a long time. I visit often, I've studied there, worked as a forklift
operator for Anheuser-Busch in St. Louis and as a soda jerk at Howard Johnson's. I've
hitchhiked across the whole United States; I even worked as a journalist and wrote a
story for the New Orleans Times-Picayune on the front page. I know the U.S. perhaps
better than most French people, and I really like the United States. I've made many
excellent friends there, I feel good there. I love junk food, and I always come home
with a few extra pounds. I've always worked and supported transatlantic solidarity.
When I hear people say that I'm anti-American, I'm sad—not angry, but really sad.
***********

Yet Washington may well go to war despite your plan. That will be their responsibility. But if
they were to ask me for my friendly advice, I would counsel against it.

No comments:

Blog Archive