Friday, March 19, 2004

From: "Jai"
Date: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:49:51 PM America/Montreal
To: UnitedForClark@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [UnitedForClark] CNN is at it again
Reply-To: UnitedForClark@yahoogroups.com

I am fuming and I just sent CNN two nasty letters, one to the CNN TV
contact site and one to the cnn.com contact site. Not that it will
do any good--it never does. And why should I be surprised?

When I watched Wes Clark on CNN this morning, I only saw the first
live appearance. But when I tried to pull up the transcript, I
noticed it was different from what I remembered seeing.

Well, it was. Apparently CNN edited out two sentences from General
Clark's comments. Fairly significant ones.

First edit: In the live interview, right after playing Chaney's
criticism of Kerry, Clark said, "Well, I think these facts are taken
out of context on his voting record, but I think the fact is this.
John Kerry does have the right character and experience to be our
commander-in-chief and to be a great president."

In the replay, he just says, "I think the fact is this. John Kerry
does have the right character and experience to be our commander-in-
chief and to be a great president." Gee, Clark was asked about what
Chaney said... shouldn't he have answered the question? And how much
sense does what he said later, about Kerry's voting record make
without this context?

Second edit: At the very end, Clark said in the live interview, "And
this really is the key foreign policy issue in this campaign. Which
person: John Kerry or George W. Bush is best suited to bring the
nations of the world together to focus on keeping the world safe from
international terrorism? I support John Kerry. I believe he's the
best person to do this."

In the replay, he says only, "And this really is the key foreign
policy issue in this campaign. Which person: John Kerry or George W.
Bush is best suited to bring the nations of the world together to
focus on keeping the world safe from international terrorism?" I
guess the General just can't make up his mind, huh?

Another change: In the live interview, General Clark is identified
as "Former NATO Supreme Allied Commander." In the replay, it's
merely "Former Presidential Candidate."

Oh yeah, one more difference, and I'll grant you it's minor but just
one more straw. General Clark said Kerry had been "at the point of
the spear." In the transcript of the live interview, it says, "at
the point of [UNINTELLIGIBLE]" (which it wasn't at all, but they get
in a hurry, so I'll cut 'em some slack). On the second transcript,
it says, "at the point of the sphere." SPHERE?! That's not a typo--
the spelling is too different. How many points on a sphere, people?
Morons.

Here are the two transcripts, if you want to compare:
http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0403/18/ltm.02.html
http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0403/18/ltm.04.html

Oh btw... Guess which one has the General's name in the link on the
transcripts page for March 18th? Hint: it isn't the more complete,
more accurate one.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UnitedForClark/message/6550

The video clip  is available at
http://www.us4clark.com/mediaclips.html


No comments:

Blog Archive