Sunday, February 22, 2004

I went back to the basic blog after dinner and, no luck. Like others
note, it appears the blog is down. I certainly hope it is temporary!

After watching the video of the General's withdrawal speech
accompanied by lyrics from the song "We'll Follow the Old Man..."
from the movie White Christmas (wonderfully provided by Ice), I had
to go back and watch the movie. My husband comes in and I'm bawling.
I hadn't realized just how patriotic the movie was. Previously I had
focused on the romance rather than on the General. Funny how learning
about and coming to admire General Clark has changed my perception of
generals! So I started crying in the beginning when Bing Crosby and
Danny Kaye and the soldiers are singing about their beloved General
who was, in their opinion, unfairly replaced (sound familiar?). Then
later when Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye sing, "What do you do with a
general when he stops being a general?" I started bawling all over
again. I'd never really thought about it. Now most retired generals
make money off the government (the taxpayers!) by selling their
connections to the military-industrial complex for big bucks. But our
general just wants to keep serving his country! How can we now love
the man?!

Okay, I just had to express my emotions!! Continue on.....

Vicky

No comments:

Blog Archive